9.02.2006

Schematic Comics by Dan Zettwoch

I first read about the USS Catastrophe collective (if that's the right name for it) a couple years ago. I had heard the name, and the names of the main crew of this comic-makin' ship, Kevin Huizenga, Ted May, and Dan Zettwoch, but I'd never hunted for the works of these guys until the 2004 election prompted them to hold a fund raiser. I sent my $25 bucks and received a drawing by Mr Huizenga. This introduction started my fanaticism for Huizenga and my desire to learn about May and Zettwoch.

I'm not sure when this mini came out. It's dated 2005, but I picked it up at San Diego Comic Con this past July. It's a compilation of short stories by Zettwoch, and features such highbrow mini-comic additions as screenprinted covers and pages, die-cutting, and a fold out centerspread. The collections title testifies to the love that Zettwoch has for plans and schema and things made by hand. Stories regularly feature the appearance of maps, directions, outlines, diagrams, rules and standards. The stories are generally told from the perspective of the blue collar artist, a craftsman in the best sense.

The artwork and storytelling skills of Zettwoch appear to be in flux in this anthology, and I presume to place stories on a timeline based on the confidence of line and fluidity of story flow. I assume that "Northwestern Parkway" and "The Secret Society of Six Mile Lane" come first in the chronology of creation, and that "Speak For Yourself Fold-In" or "Making My Own Mini-Comic" would fall towards this end of the timeline. The brushline gets smoother and the inconsistent crosshatching of early stories transforms into confident blacks and appropriate tones. I will be sure to add more Zettwoch titles to my collection. In fact, maybe I'll go order some right now from USS Catastrophe dot com.

No comments: