5.15.2006

New Comics - May 10th Part Two

Holy shit, where does the time go? Oh, I know, a birthday, Mother's Day, and work, work, work, and the next thing you know it's Monday night and your five days behind on your weekly post so you hack it out. So, in honor of all the hacks in the history of comics, here's my hack for the week:
  • She-Hulk 7 (Marvel) - Speaking of, Will Conrad provides serviceable art for this issue. The storyline here felt a little drawn out, leading me to assume that the writer was thinking of his trade paperback and how many issues he would need to fill one with two storylines. Almost enough to make me drop the series with the inconsistent artists and the hyper-extended storylines. We'll see.
  • Girls 13 (Image) - Here's an extended storyline that at least feels like it's building at its own pace. I'll admit that this issue was denser than most, and I think they need to keep that in mind and build the story with plenty of goings-on, rather than the super-laid-back flow of some issues. The title is still strong, with enticing cliffhangers and enjoyable art and story.
  • Bite Club VCU 2 (DC/Vertigo) - This is the preview for the week. This actually releases this Wednesday. More is less here, unfortunately. More plot points, more black comedy, more sensationalism, more characters and more depravity add up to a little bit less enjoyment for me than the first series, or even the first issue of this series. I'm along for the ride, but this is shaping out to be a typical sequel, short on the thrill that made the first so great.
  • Future Shock (Image) - A Free Comic Book Day comic that publishes teasers from upcoming issues of Image titles. Nothing special here, and unfortunately each bit felt like part of a whole. Still, it seems like just the thing for F.C.B.D.
  • Warren Ellis' Wolfskin 1 (Avatar) - Normally a barbarian book wouldn't hold my interest, but I bought this one because it's Warren Ellis. That gamble paid off because I enjoyed it immensely. I look forward to not having to try Conan now, since this mini-series will fill my quota of barbarian for, well, a long time.
And the book of the week (not in quality, but in notoriety):
  • 52 Week One (DC) - There's so much going on here, that this is just the slightest bit of a taste of what to expect, but it seems that this is working for the title for me at least. Even if I have no interest in a character or two, there will be plenty of others to hold my interest. Much like a compilation CD I love of 30 second songs, even if you get to a bad one, by the time you realize it, it's over. Judgment will have to wait.

No comments: