Here we go...
- Superior Showcase (AdHouse Books) - One of my favorite publishers follows up the Project Superior anthology from last year with a new title featuring the same idea - non-superhero artists doing superhero stories. The three in this issue are entertaining, if they all beg for a little expansion, the main downfall of most anthology titles. But don't misunderstand, Chris Pitzer has his ear to the ground and is putting out some of the most forward thinking comics around. Design, storytelling, art, and great ideas.
- Marvel Team-Up (Marvel) - I have been enjoying this Kirkman storyline. I haven't read this yet, but it seems to be an interlude story that will tie in later to the story. If nothing else, Cory Walker's art looks great in this issue, a story set in the comics world of the mid-nineties Marvel landscape with characters like Cable and Wolverine, but done in a somewhat Mignola-ish style.
- Batman: Secrets (DC) - Sam Kieth can always be counted on to come up with a very personal and unique approach to these mainstream stalwarts. This series is no exception. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
- Marvel Zombies (Marvel) - The final issue is a bit of a letdown, but there was so much build-up that I think anything would have been a letdown. Sorry if you haven't read it and would like to, but set your expectation low.
- Infinite Crisis (DC) - This series really highlights my comprehension deficiency. Am I the only one that can see a ton of gibberish.
- Ex Machina Vol 3: Fact v. Fiction (DC) - The new collection of a series that I only read in collections, not because it's not good, but because it is so good that I enjoy reading big chunks all at once. Brian K. Vaughn is a terror (and I mean that in the best possible way).
- Detective Comics (DC) - Basically ditto what I said about the last installment.
- Doc Samson (Marvel) - I haven't looked twice at this title (this is 4 of 5), but I picked this one up for the backup story with art by Frank Espinosa. This artist, most famous for Rocketo, is very entertaining, but is still getting his hold on panel-to-panel storytelling. Keep an eye open for him if you haven't already.
- Planetary (DC) - Haven't read it yet, but this series is the book that everyone is thinking of when they say that NextWave is the best thing on the racks.
And a couple books that I got the preview of:
- American Virgin (DC/Vertigo) - I like where this book started in the first issue, but hopefully it hasn't turned a corner into a straight genre piece. I look forward to more character driven material, like the first issue set me up for, and I expect Becky Cloonan's art to continue to improve. Nothing makes an artist get better than a monthly deadline.
And a book that was handed to me by the artist this week, and which will be available tomorrow at APECon.
- Hector Impala PV (self published) - Artist/writer Andrew Mitchell is an up-and-comer in the comics world. This is third self published title he's made available. I haven't read it yet (sorry Andy), but this looks to be right up my alley. In fact, I'm off to read it right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment